Freelancing in Ireland


Information about Freelancing

When you freelance in Ireland you are essentially self-employed. When you become self-employed it means you are carrying out your own business rather than working for an employer and there are a number of things to take into consideration.

When you start a business, you can do so either as a sole trader, partnership or limited company. The type of structure you choose depends on the kind of business you are carrying on, with whom you will be doing business and your attitude to risk. Here we look at setting up as a sole trader. That is, when you set up a business on your own. Being a sole trader is relatively straightforward to set up, but if your business fails, all your assets could be used to pay your creditors.


Much of the process of preparing for self-employment is about starting a business. This is the same information whether you are a sole trader or a partnership or company. You can read about the organisations, websites and publications that can help you on the Citizens Information document, Sources of information on starting a business

If you are a non-EEA national you can find information about starting a business in the Citizens Information document, Coming to set up a business or invest in Ireland.

Registration of business name

You may carry on your business using your own name. If you wish to use a business name you must register your business name with the Companies Registration Office, you will find all the information you need to do so here.


To set up as a sole trader you must register for income tax with Revenue as a self-employed sole trader. You do this using Revenue's online service, you can find out more about registering for tax here.


The Irish Insurance Federation provides a free insurance information service where you can obtain information and advice on all aspects of insurance.

Supports Available

There is an abundance of supports available for people who choose to work as self-employed. For full details visit the Citizens Information website section - Becoming self-employed.